I won't ever clean this one up. It begins messy and doesn't get better.
I think I found the perfect protest song for what I have been describing. In other words, the perfect protest song for what is wrong with humanity. Maggie's Farm by Bob Dylan. He describes the insanity perfectly.
I would just change one phrase. "you slave" to "you're saved".
Then, of course, there is What's The Matter Here by 10,000 maniacs, which always brings tears to my eyes.
I just realized that I should probably mention that those tears in my eyes are never for me. My upbringing was bad, certainly, but it was more like peering through a one-way mirror watching the antics of insanity being played out. No, it is tears in my eyes for the human race for the last three millennia. How can we keep coming back to the same awfulness without seeking what is going on? How can we remain so blinded? and that goes for the whole of the human race. The joy of youth never lasts and it should. It should just mellow with age as fulfillment fills in the blanks and accomplishment at Human goals fulfills the soul.
It doesn't even surprise me that, now that I can take some time off from conveying what's wrong with humanity, that I notice so many songs that tell the story in their own way. Almost exclusively by women. It is not really as inconsistent as it might seem that I follow that statement with a list of songs by men.
Maybe an even better song is "Eyes Of A Child" by Moody Blues that tries to describe what it means to be human. It's a good start, anyways.
Well, since this is becoming a review of music as it has impacted me, I guess it's worth mentioning "Days Like This" by Van Morrison. I could have been my theme song for the last fifteen years to some extent and the last ten to an emphatic extent. But, to be sure, "Desperado" has always been my theme song. Hmmm, if I ever feel certain that Humanity has turned the corner, I might have to rethink that. I don't feel any urgency.
It distresses me to some extent that the best insights I have gotten into the feminine take on existence is from songs. I guess it's not surprising. One that has always been prominent in those thoughts is "Come In From The Cold" by Joni Mitchell. There are plenty of others (much of FATM comes to mind) and I know that the feminine take varies wildly from woman to woman. I think it varies much more than men's take, since men are so distracted by their failure that they don't think things through to any extent. They seldom can handle more than one topic ever.
As I wrote on a different site:
Tears for Fears - Shout
"They gave you life, so in return you gave them hell" says a lot.
Soulstice - Wind (Fila Brazilia Mix) wow, right on target.
"Heavy Love" by Serena Ryder; but that's a totally different subject
This post could get quite long.
Protest songs
I might have to make a post on ASP regarding this. I'm not sure yet. It might lead somewhere but it's not gonna happen.
Not too long ago, I was mentioning on a couple of social sites that what was missing, this time around; in contrast to the Flower Power generation, the Vietnam War, and Nixon; is protests songs to inspire people.
In shock, just today, I realized that the protest songs, the ones that get to the point, have been there for a long time. On that front, London Grammar gets a particular recognition.
So many female lyricists (some male), shockingly to me, ignore the superficial surface issues that protests are usually about and get closer to what I have been describing for the last fifteen years. It's just missing the critical link. Why it all continues, no matter what we have done for the last three millennia - repeatedly.
Of course, that makes sense when it is not made apparent. My frustration comes from the fact that I have made it all apparent.
No, while I'd love to think that I somehow inspired some of that, there is no evidence of that. It began long before I had a clue. It is, as I was saying on Paradigms and Paradigm-breakers, just a matter of our sentient awareness continuously getting alot more savvy. And, yet, to my awareness, we remain utterly blinded. I still wonder if women have known what is wrong all along. Not being a woman, I can't really make any claims one way or another. The songs begin to give me a feeling that they know a lot more than any male suspects.
It certainly encourages me no end that it's not just me. Everyone is beginning to sense the real issue, even if it hasn't fully blossomed into understanding. That is everywhere to be seen. And, of course, the animal is reacting. The ball is beginning to roll, the avalanche has already begun. It is inevitable. It has been rolling for at least hundreds of thousands of years. While encouraging, that doesn't mean (to me, at least) that the stupour will be buried under the snow of our sentience any time soon. But, then again, for the ultimate optimist, just remember I am a very pragmatic dreamer. My scepticism scale will remain off the charts until I see something very, very concrete to lean on. It took me fifteen years to completely convince myself that I had identified the root cause of our madness.
Answers
The more I think about it, the more I become convinced that all of the answers regarding Loving Coitus (or, at least, the issues) and our predicament are probably available in the lyrics of songs. The biggest problem is that, for most lyricists, they don't really desire to lay it out clearly and the form of lyrics, like rhoetry, makes it difficult. Women are, at least, making very clear what the problem is, but no sign yet that they understand the ultimate source of men's terrible behaviour.
Well, not the greatest insight but I'm running out of interest into delving deeply. Many of those songs are just daggers in disguise for me. My heart has about had it. I don't expect any relief. Just a bunch more screaming. I hope I am wrong.
.
.
.
.
Sorry. Just went off on a music tangent. It's very nice, for a change.
Mescalito - Rambla; really softens a hard knot in my stomach
Karen Ramirez - Troubled Girl (Spanish version)
Amazing. I found these below after all this time (30 years?). Even though I had no idea what they were singing about, I've always liked them, except for the titles. It turns out, they are not very deep.
Both are by 姫神 or Himekami or Princess God; they are from Okinawa
森渡り or Crossing the forest
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkSB4TeYOcc&list=RDYkSB4TeYOcc&start_radio=1
神々の詩 or Poems of the gods;
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDC0GdIrUD0&list=PLZLzjX_R9m3X6UImvCpsMCjaG6gqqcRKT
I think both songs are about expression using the voice itself, which I like a lot. It is something I mentioned elsewhere some time ago. Meaning seems almost off-hand. Maybe that's more common than I suspect. I know I mentioned that subject somewhere before. I like the idea of thinking of the voice as an instrument that can express a whole lot without words.
I think "Doctor, My Eyes" should have always been my theme song.
Something that has intrigued me for ages is the songs by so many female vocal artists, Goldfrapp is one example, have certain songs in which the tunes are so pretty and so uplifting and, yet, the lyrics are anything but. The lyrics are full of angst. It's just weird. More mystifying is the fact that the chorus's seem intentionally rendered in such a way that they seem to be uplifting, as well, which seems to indicate that all of it is intentional, maybe at a visceral level.
But, then again, that correlates so well with the other thought going through my head today. That the race's existence is reflected in the individual's existence. This doesn't stand up to close scrutiny but, on the whole, it is true. The stupour reigns in all cases and it is coming to bite humanity in the ass.
In youth, the thought rattling through a person's head (that is not completely crushed by personal experience of the madness rained down on their head), is that life holds so much in store. That gets burned away, during prehumanity's reign, as we progress through life. Maybe, in some ways, one could say that is what drove me all along.
As they grow older, they begin to learn what is lacking. Women much more quickly than men. No one likes it. Most everyone has done such a good job of fooling themselves that it lasts a lifetime. As the race itself matures, fewer and fewer can continue to stomach the lies we have told ourselves, thus the race itself is beginning not to like it. It is also occurring at a younger age as exposure to the lies we tell ourselves become much more obvious and is spread without any restraints or constraints.
Until the race admits to the lies, we will remain mad.
aaaaaah, I don't feel like getting into it. What's the point? While I write all of this shit and, maybe, some actually read it, no one is really paying attention, are they?
I just ran across another song that makes me wonder. "Check It Out" by John Mellencamp. It's a song I've loved for ages. It's just nice to realize that I'm not the only one wondering what is wrong with humanity and realizing it. Kinda silly, I guess. I think everyone is aware that there is something wrong. So, maybe, it's the realization that some others believe we can figure it out. I do not believe that is true of everyone - at least in some foreseeable or immediate future.
I have to watch myself or I will go off on all of the very offensive takes I have on how the prehuman thinks things through - or not.
It's like I say in This and That. There are just too many. I find it weird that I have mostly noted male artists and these last two are also. Maybe it's just because it seems such a surprise. Men haven't, overall, shown a lot of insight. Maybe it's encouraging that they seem to be getting the picture. But, let me just reiterate, in general, FATM & London Grammar. That's not really fair, since there are just so many women's songs that are so much more about it and have been for a long while. I don't know why but I feel awkward noting particular songs by female artists. Anyways...
Jackson Browne - Shaky Town
This one I don't mention because of its lyric content (though it kinda applies) but just because the tune itself is just awesome. Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues.
One more add. On the flip-side, as I listen to some of my favorite songs, like "Daughter" by Bread, even such a lovely song shows the misogynistic conqueror's view of the prehuman. Sigh. It's subtle but it's there and show how deeply the threads of misogyny and stupour intrude.
Okay, I may never be finished. Honorable mention has to be "We Didn't Start The Fire" by Billy Joel.
Carly Simon's "That the way I always heard it should be" typifies the Flower Power generation better than anything I ever heard. It encases how clarity began to become an overriding goal at that time.
That generation began asking questions and describing what it saw without any whitewash. So, maybe I've been wrong. Maybe it couldn't have happened before now that the complete truth could be exposed. Now, we'll see if the general mass of humanity, starting with those that live above the average are willing to accept it or are their positions more important to them than the ongoing improvement into a Human, sentient state. Is the Flower Power generation, for all the truth it exposed, to be remembered only for the wreckage it made of the monstrous existence that we have endured to this point? It's not up to me.
I think, from here, I am off of the Maggie's Farm bandwagon and will just add songs that I dearly love. I'll start with the Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues, FATM - June, London Grammar - Call Your Friends.
It's so nice. I've started listening to music the way it should be, once again. Some lyrics had just taken the heart out of me. I just have to skip any new messages they send. I don't now that there's a ...
the perfect song just came on the playlist. Bread - Too Much Love. That explains it all. I know what it means. I could argue my case but that would just distract from the point. Gosh, I've been loving music so much today. If you like, try my public playlist on Google, Chill.
Two songs I really admire are "What a Wonderful World" and "Check It Out" because they both admit that past generations are dumber than a brick and not worth any admiration. There is a second point about one of them that I also admire. It distinguishes between how individuals act and how groups of people act.
I've already mentioned how so many songs address the problem of our prehumanity, but Smackwater Jack really hits the spot.
I was just listening to a some lyrics that went something like "people don't change/people just stay the same" and I have to finally admit it's true. Oh, it isn't entirely true but most people get set on a track for life and can never veer from their course. Especially, if they have been "successful" at life. The quotation marks are due to the fact of what I consider successful for the Human race, which is entirely different from what is considered successful for the individual prehuman.
I have been running on the assumption that there are some open minds out there. I am beginning to think it just doesn't work like that. That is why it takes so long for anything significant to happen. Maybe it's part of evolution, even conscious evolution.
Then again, once we attain our sentience, if I would expect something to change, this would be one of them. Open minds, seeking clarity is what sentience is about. Any obstruction to seeking clarity (far different from attaining clarity) keeps us in the corral with the herd as a race. In another way, once we attain a conscious evolutionary stance, we will fire off on a far different vector of the Trajectory Of Life. Hmmm, time to end. I'm beginning to ramble. I think, mostly, I am now beyond that as the situation continues to clear.
Another song struck me out of the blue that feels significant. The Moody Blues, Watching and Waiting, which goes "Watching and Waiting for someone to play with". It seems like they are talking about some supreme being waiting for someone to join it. It just struck me that there is a double entendre that might apply in the case of our Humanity. It pleases me to think of it as the woman, the female gender, watching and waiting for the male gender to catch up to them and learn to love. It, of course, saddens me terribly that I couldn't have made it happen sooner. Maybe that is another reason I am so impatient.
That actually brings up another song that I was struck by lately, though I haven't listened to it in ages. Girls Just Want To Have Fun. I began wondering how accurate that is. In some cases, I think it is very, very accurate.
I was just listening to "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor and it really highlighted a problem. I have never explicitly mentioned that, of course, sadness will grip people, even once we become Human. I just never really thought it was working mentioning. I think, "not utopia, just no dystopia" explained that well enough. That is a very sad song.
Maybe this isn't even worth pointing out regarding lyrics as I have made myself clear on other subjects but, the main difference in protest lyrics that determines, for me, whether I am agitated is whether they are written by a man or a woman.
A woman has a number of reasons to only protest and never pursue what is wrong with humanity. First of all, I cannot say anything about the female gender with any certainty, since it is not my gender. Secondly, even if some women see the big picture, really understand what is wrong, there is not a thing that they can do about it, on their own. It is not their problem.
What got me on this track is Bob Dylan. He has so many incredibly perceptive songs about what is wrong, but nothing suggesting that he ever even considered the source of what is wrong. Like all of prehumanity, he was content to make a name for himself.
Honestly, out of all of the men, I don't get why Dylan couldn't have taken that extra step. I convinces me that the whole of the prehuman race is more content to bitch about it without taking any time to get a clue as to what is really wrong. Making a name for oneself seems to be the be-all and end-all of the prehuman existence. It is fuct. It is annoying.
I have just about abandon hard rock & roll. it's like hard-ass R&R thrives on the frenzy that consumes the individual and never notices that it is about the human race. My best example of the jazzier/chill sound for which I have developed a taste is Van Morrison's Gypsy In My Soul.
My theme song should have always been Doctor, My Eyes by Jackson Browne.
Maybe Words Of Love by Mamas and The Papas explains the Flower Power Generation best and the realization of what's really going on.
Carly Simon's "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" explains well how relationships often end up amongst prehumans.
No comments:
Post a Comment
No comments